Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rachael Ray’s Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup



I want to start my blog off with some of the recipes that I’ve made previously and took pictures of to share.

Rachael Ray’s Chicken Fajita Tortilla Soup



My husband and I were sitting around on lazy Sunday morning when we saw Rachael’s show with this recipe. It was a show geared to heartbreak and comfort food without the calories…let me tell you this recipe will not cause heartbreak…its delicious! My husband and I love this recipe and it’s become apart of our menu on almost a weekly basis. Her recipes makes too much for the two of us so I’m going to give you her recipe and then in parenthesis give you the amount I used.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (1 ½ tablespoons)
2 packages chicken tenders, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds (1 pound)
1 tablespoon coriander, a palm full (same)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, 5 to 6 sprigs (3 sprigs)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced (same)
1 large bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced (same)
1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced (same)
1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (14-ounce)
1 quart chicken stock (½ – ¾)
1 bag white corn tortilla chips
1 cup shredded pepper Jack or sharp white Cheddar
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 lime, juiced
4 scallions, chopped
Handful fresh cilantro leaves or fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

When we watched the show on television she also used a tablespoon of cumin and a tablespoon of chili powder. I add these as they provide great flavor.

Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, begin to brown 4 minutes, add coriander, chili powder, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper, to taste, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and stock, heat through.





While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and divide among 4 bowls. You need a couple of handfuls per bowl. Top the chips with a little cheese. Toss the avocado with lime juice. Top the chips with ladles of soup. Garnish soup with avocado, scallions and cilantro or parsley. (We find that the chips get too soggy too soon so I place the chips around the bowl so that we can then use them as scoops.)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment