Friday, May 29, 2009

Gnocchi with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce

Last night my husband had a training class to conduct so I was on my own for dinner. I had three options: 1. Cook 2. Pick-up fast food on my way home from work or 3. Order a pizza. I selected option number 1 because I remembered seeing in the Italian isle at our local grocery store a package of pre-made gnocchi and I’ve always wanted to try this dish. Lately when we go to an Italian restaurant I want the dishes that have a tomato cream sauce so this is where my inspiration for this dish.

Note: I don’t have exact amounts of ingredients as it was a trail and error type of sauce. I added a little of this and that and then I’d try it and add a little more or whatever else I thought it would need until I hit my liking. This dish is made for a 1 person serving.

Ingredients:

1 package of Gnocchi
1 small can of tomato sauce
Garlic
Olive oil
3 basil leaves
Half and half (You can use heavy cream or light cream if you’d like)
Salt
Pepper
Italian seasoning
Sugar
Red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)

Put on a small pot of water to boil, salt liberally.

Heat a skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Chop up one small garlic clove and 3 basil leaves. Add all of the garlic and about three-quarters of the basil to the pan and cook for one minute. Add three-quarters of the small can of tomato sauce and stir everything together. Add salt, pepper, sugar and Italian seasoning and stir together. Let sauce simmer for 5 minutes.

Add half of the package of gnocchi and cook for 4 minutes.

At this point I tasted my sauce and added more of what I thought it was lacking. I then added the crushed red pepper flakes and about a ¼ of a cup of half and half. You can add as much or as little as you like depending on how creamy you’d like your sauce to be. Once the gnocchi is done add it to the sauce and lightly toss. Spoon gnocchi in bowl and garnish with parmesan cheese and the rest of the basil. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment